One of the many joys of loving a military man is the periods of long distance you occasionally get thrown into. While my husband and I aren’t currently long distance (thank the Lord!), we’ve definitely been physically separated more than we would have liked to and we’ve still got some more distance to conquer in the near future.
That being said, I know how hard long distance can be. However, I like to look at the bright side of things (and I want to help you do the same!). So here’s twenty and a half reasons long distance relationships don’t suck so much, after all…
1. You become pros at communicating.
2. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder.
3. You learn to be independent.
4. All that traveling to each other makes for some pretty cool mini-vacations.
5. There’s always a next visit to look forward to.
6. You get plenty of “me time.”
7. The first time you see them again is a magical moment that makes all of that waiting totally worth it.
8. You develop more trust.
9. You get to send each other romantic letters. (Like these!)
10. And creative care packages, which are so much fun to make!
11. Skype dates mean you don’t have to put on real pants.
12. Dreaming about the future is much more enjoyable, for some reason.
13. The little things your SO does that bug you (like leaving lights on in empty rooms) either aren’t relevant any more or they don’t bother you as much. You’re just glad to be in the same town again!
14. You have more time to focus on work, school, or even hobbies.
15. You learn to be extremely patient.
16. The nude photos your spouse sends you. (Come on people, I know this isn’t just me!!!)
17. It’s hard to get tired of each other when you don’t see them very often.
18. Since dates are rare, you don’t feel so bad about spending a lot of money on them.
19. You know your relationship is built to last if you can make it through the distance.
20. According to science, long distance increases intimacy (which I totally agree with).
20.5. And last but not least, I asked my husband what he likes about long distance and he said “freedom.” I think it goes without saying that this is only worth half a point. (Lolz)
What do you think? Any that I missed??