Last weekend, my husband and I went to war.
Not with each other, but with our kitchen sink (athough I did accidentally wage German World War I style chemical warfare on him… More on that in a minute).
It started Friday morning around 6 am when I decided to wash some dishes. I had a lot to do that day and we had people coming over that evening, so I wanted the house to be clean.
Well, the water wouldn’t drain.
No problem, I thought. This is has happened several times before. I’ll just pour some baking soda and salt down the drain and flush it with boiling water like I always do.
Silly, silly me.
That clogged it even more this time.
Hmm, I’ll just Google more home remedies for clogged sinks, I told myself. I’d hate to damage the environment with nasty chemicals.
Oh California, what have you done to me??
Long story short(er), none of the home remedies worked. I spent several precious hours of my busy Friday trying EVERYTHING on about.com, eHow, and even Yahoo Answers, among other sites. I tried THREE drain snakes, took apart the pipes to clean the trap, and poured loads of baking soda, vinegar, and dawn soap down the drain. I even got my husband to try plunging the sink that afternoon when he got home from work, but all of our efforts were to no avail.
When the hubby left for some fun PT (ha!), both sides of our kitchen sink were full of nasty, smelly, soapy water. I had just tried another round of baking soda + vinegar when I stumbled across a new idea on the internet—bleach.
So, what did I do?
I poured some bleach in the sink.
That’s right, folks: I mixed bleach and vinegar.
I’ve taken several chemistry classes by now (both high school and college-level), and apparently I retained NONE of the information I learned about chemical reactions.
I let it sit for a few minutes while I continued my Google search for new methods. Suddenly, I noticed that I was beginning to feel a little light-headed.
Maybe it’s just the smell of the bleach, I thought.
Just to be on the safe side, I looked it up anyway.
Oh, I thought to myself whilst reading what happens when you mix bleach with vinegar, I just chlorine-gassed the house. Cool.
Just kidding, I freaked out.
I spent the next few minutes frantically venting the house by opening all of the windows and doors and bringing our bedroom fan into the kitchen. I locked our kitty in the bathroom with the window open, hoping her small body wouldn’t pass out under the toxic fumes.
While it probably wasn’t NEARLY as bad as I thought it was at the time, I definitely didn’t want the hubs to come home and find me passed out on the kitchen floor.
When he did come home about fifteen minutes after the incident, he asked me what happened.
So I told him.
And he just shook his head (he pretty much expects this stuff from me now—LOL).
He had the brilliant idea to scoop out the sink water with a bucket and pour it into the shower (why didn’t I think of that?), and while we were tag-teaming the job, one of our neighbors came by to ask what happened. (Oh and that neighbor just happens to be a Staff Sergent in the Army that I almost poisoned with shrimp gumbo one time… I guess you could say I’m accident-prone.)
He happened to have about half a bottle of Drano, so he gave it to us.
It didn’t work.
Maybe we just need a full bottle, we thought.
Oh and one of our good friends had a birthday last week so I made him this awesome cake Friday night (it’s funny because he actually was adopted… twice).