It’s no secret that the men and women who serve in our military are heroes, but what about their spouses? Since becoming a military spouse myself, I’ve made some close observations of mil-spouses that lead me to only one conclusion: we’re pretty much superheroes. Here’s why:
1. We knew what we were getting into, but we married our spouse anyway—for that reason we’re extremely brave.
2. We can hold down the fort when duty calls.
3. We have super-strength! And it definitely comes in handy when our spouses are gone.
4. We can also fly—and we do it often. Anyone else racking up those frequent flyer miles?
5. We can’t put too much information on the internet thanks to OPSEC, so our identities are somewhat anonymous (like all good superheroes, right?).
6. We have the incredible superpower of being able to make a foreign city, state, or sometimes even country into our home, no matter how temporary.
7. Much like superheroes fight crime, we mil-spouses sometimes have to fight off our worries and learn to be optimistic about even the crappiest situations.
8. We’re more flexible than Elastigirl, because, well—we have to be.
9. We’re faithful and loyal, especially when times get tough.
10. Our letter-writing and care-package-making skills are phenomenal—definitely another superpower.
11. We have the inhuman ability to function normally on only a few hours of sleep due to the late night phone calls and/or Skype sessions.
While us spouses may exhibit some traits that are scary-close to those of superheroes, let’s not forget how brave and loyal the men and women who serve this country are. Thank you to all of those who have served, past or present, and thank you also to their family members, who also make sacrifices for this nation.